Manager, Media Relations
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Golin Chicago is hiring a savvy Manager, Media Relations with a background in corporate/professional services to be a lead business and earned media strategist for one of the world’s largest and most recognized retailers.
You will lead an integrated team of specialists to develop earned media strategies and champion brave, results-oriented campaigns that earn media attention and drive the business forward. You’ll act as a day-to-day client lead and trusted advisor to senior client leadership across communications functions to provide strategic guidance, drive public relations programs and ensure exceptional client satisfaction. You’ll develop and motivate an inclusive, best-in-class internal team that roll up their sleeves and go above and beyond to deliver for a fast-paced, industry-leading retail brand and one of the agency’s largest clients.
We are looking for a strong leader and counselor with the ability to think cross-platform and contribute to an integrated team.
- Lead and support day-to-day earned media responsibilities spanning program execution, overseeing and participating in the development of key earned media collateral such as press releases, pitches, key messages, etc.
- Develop and implement innovative, earned media strategies that are intended to reach B2B audiences across a range of industries and deliver on client objectives and business goals.
- Personally build strong relationships with media outlets and editors, including top-tier national, local, trade and B2B outlets, secure coverage and counsel junior staff on how to do the same.
- Stay ahead of new trends in our client’s businesses by being relentlessly curious and in-the-know on financial services, workforce and HR, middle and back-office technology, and other key business verticals.
- Have the ability to turn a few pieces of data or trends into actionable insights to influence creative ideas, campaign messaging and contribute to a media strategy.
- Assist in connecting campaign objectives and tactics to develop thought-leadership narratives and media opportunities for brand executives.
- Collaborate with teams across multiple disciplines at the agency and successfully manage complex, fast-moving and unexpected communications challenges.
- Conduct ongoing media monitoring and assist with media coverage recaps.
- Participate in and present at client meetings.
- Work together with agency partners to integrate on programs and connect dots.
- Be a team player and active contributor to the agency’s culture and values.
- Help manage a junior team by sharing real-time feedback, helping them reach their goals and guiding their growth.
- Direct access to a large team of seasoned and talented professionals who will not only help improve your work but establish a path for you to grow within Golin long term
- Ability to work and learn cross-functionally within a large, diverse account with many different workstreams
- Opportunity to help build and lead a new remit from the ground up including directing annual strategy and plan, developing processes and growing the team
- Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hone and execute best-in-class media and client relations for a global retailer
- BA/BS in Journalism, English, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related field
- 3+ years of communications experience, specializing in earned media and corporate communications
- Experience working with or for an iconic brand, ideally in retail
- Has led, mentored, coached and helped grow a team
- Mix of agency and in-house experience preferred, ideally having worked with a CPG brand or retailer
- Experience leading earned media strategies and campaigns across various verticals and platforms focused on earning media attention and driving business results
- Strong hold of the consumer media landscape and a tactfulness for knowing what drives consumer news cycles
- A strong client counselor and trusted advisor who has managed relationships with senior decision makers and owned account financials (budgets, forecasting, scoping, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience working on day-to-day account activities, managing teams to execute public relations plans effectively, and drafting and implementing communications programs within budget
- Expert problem-solving skills and an ongoing sense of resourcefulness to address multiple competing issues under tight deadlines
- Advanced knowledge of top-tier business and national consumer media, and well-developed-skills in building and maintaining traditional and digital media relationships
- Superior writing skills, expert in Associated Press style with the ability to develop and edit high-quality materials including; communications plans, media POV’s, press materials, fact sheets, bylined articles, trend analysis summaries, executive correspondence, and presentations.
- Collaborative spirit and ability to mobilize others to achieve a common goal, while also recognizing when it’s needed to roll up your sleeves and do the job yourself
- Willingness to challenge clients and team members, recognizing when and how to resolve, gain consensus and move forward
- Knack for building trusted relationships with clients and prospects that lead to additional, incremental new business opportunities.
Golin is a progressive public relations agency with expertise ranging from brand-building and cutting-edge digital content to corporate reputation, healthcare advocacy and measurement. Golin aligns earned-first, data-driven creative with the customer journey, to deliver maximum impact for clients and reach a profoundly diverse global market. “Go All In” is the agency’s ethos and commitment to bravery over mediocrity.
We Go All In, in everything we do. We’re especially committed to Go All In for our people. We challenge our employees to be Courageously Happy and have empowered them to do so by offering our Lifetime benefits program. Lifetime offers flexible time off, enhanced family care, ridiculously good health and wellness benefits, and a monthly Lifetime stipend for the gym or hobbies. We really do want you to play as hard as you work!
Salary range: $55,000-$95,000
Golin has included the base salary range or hourly rate for this role. Actual compensation offered within the range will depend upon, among other factors: a candidate’s skills, qualifications, and experience; actual ranges for current or former employees in the role; and market considerations.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.