Manager, Executive Communications & Media Relations
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Golin is a progressive public relations agency with expertise ranging from brand-building and cutting-edge digital content to corporate reputation, healthcare advocacy and measurement. Golin aligns earned-first, data-driven creative with the customer journey, to deliver maximum impact for clients and reach a profoundly diverse global market. “Go All In” is the agency’s ethos and commitment to bravery over mediocrity.
We Go All In, in everything we do. We’re especially committed to Go All In for our people. We challenge our employees to be Courageously Happy and have empowered them to do so by offering our Lifetime benefits program. Lifetime offers flexible time off, enhanced family care, ridiculously good health and wellness benefits, and a monthly Lifetime stipend for the gym or hobbies. We really do want you to play as hard as you work!
Why Work for Us?
We are a global agency of run by 1,700 diverse, bright and eager individuals collaborating with us in more than 40 cities around the globe. Some in offices, some working remotely. But regardless of our geographies, our passion for collaboration is the #1 reason clients and colleagues enjoy working with us.
This love for working together isn’t new for us…it started 60 years ago when our founder insisted that personal egos be set aside for the greater good of the agency. Because he knew great work starts with inspired teamwork. Our love for working together is how we get clients and colleagues to work with us and stay with us for decades. And how we launch brands, build careers, win awards and make everlasting friendships.
We are ready to Go All In for you…
Because we promise together, we will make the best work of our lives and create change that matters. If that sounds like something you could wake up every morning to help with, then read on.
Do you check the headlines on your newsfeed before you’ve had even a sip of your morning coffee? Do you love working at the speed of real-time to spot and influence trends before they become news?
Golin Chicago is hiring Media Relations Manager to drive media strategy and execution that keeps our clients relevant with top media. We call our media relations specialists Connectors because they use their connections and media prowess to earn attention for our clients.
You’ll support high visibility campaigns that garner widespread coverage, building strong media relationships with reporters and editors at top tier media outlets across a variety of channels, including social media You’ll transform corporate milestones and data into compelling stories and craft interesting content that goes beyond the press release. You’ll tap into cultural trends to drive relevancy and engaging conversation around the brand, coming up with out-of-the-box earned media tactics to reach the target audience.
- Support day-to-day media relations responsibilities for a prominent international brand and their US leadership. This includes developing earned media strategies and storytelling opportunities for campaigns, specifically around brand reputation, thought leadership programs and real-time news events that lead to ongoing, positive brand mentions.
- Establish and maintain relationships with media, industry analysts and online influencers, and guide the client’s messaging to resonate with these different audiences. Effectively engage with these contacts across multiple channels, including email, social media, and phone.
- Engage with clients and agency partners on a regular basis to create innovative PR programs that help shine a positive light on the client and brand, in addition to reaching new audiences who are receptive to the client’s products.
- Stay ahead of media by identifying emerging technology trends that can create story opportunities relevant to the client’s brand.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams across multiple disciplines/practices to successfully manage complex, fast-moving, and unexpected communications challenges.
- Have a curiosity for analytics. Can turn a few pieces of data into actionable insights to influence our client’s messaging and media outreach strategy.
In this role, you will have direct access to seasoned, award-winning professionals who will not only help improve your work - but establish a path for you to grow within Golin long term. This role provides the exciting opportunity to develop strong media relationships and create and build a new function within an established successful agency. One thing you’ll learn about Golin is people stay for both the people and the agency’s willingness to be flexible with career pivots and explorations.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in media relations & executive communications with an understanding of B2C or QSR media relations. Issues and crisis communications experience is a plus.
- Strong writing, editing and outreach skills are necessary. Not afraid of making an initial ‘cold call’ to establish new media relationships.
- Understanding of earned media strategy and experience creating media plans and compiling media lists.
- Proven experience working with media and influencers and a strong portfolio of story placements; a passion for building relationships with anyone from an engineering website editor to the most influential names at well-known consumer tech outlets.
- Excellent communication, organizational and computer skills are a must, along with the ability meet deadlines, juggle multiple tasks, and a handle fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and superior client service skills.
- Be proactive and highly motivated; demonstrate the ability and desire to work independently and confidently, but as part of a team.
- Comfortable working remotely and with team members located in other cities and time zones.
- Be detail oriented with an ability to focus on the larger picture.
- Ability to work on multiple programs at once under tight deadlines.
- Provide sound counsel and be comfortable providing editorial and response recommendations to clients.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and client teams at all levels.
- Well-versed in AP style.
To reward our employees for creating the best work of their lives, Golin offers the following perks we strongly urge our employees to utilize:
- Flexible time off
- Extended Leave
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Tuition reimbursement
- 401K matching program
- Training and career pathing
- Community service opportunities
Golin has included the base salary range or hourly rate for this role. Actual compensation offered within the range will depend upon, among other factors: a candidate’s skills, qualifications, and experience; actual ranges for current or former employees in the role; and market considerations.
Salary range: $55,000 - $95,000
Any request to schedule an interview and any legitimate offer of employment will only come from an authorized representative of Golin. We will never require an applicant to provide sensitive personally identifiable information in order to conduct an interview.
Golin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.