SVP of Crisis and Issues Practice
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Golin is seeking a SVP of Crisis and Issues to join our team!
Why Work for Us?
We are 1,600 bright and eager individuals collaborating in more than 40 cities around the globe. Some in offices, some working remotely. Regardless of our geographies, our passion for collaboration is the #1 reason clients and colleagues enjoy working with us.
Collaboration isn’t new for us…it started 60 years ago when our founder insisted that personal egos be set aside for the greater good of the agency. He knew great work starts with inspired teamwork. And inspired teamwork is how we get clients and colleagues to join us and stay for decades, and how we launch brands, build careers, win awards like PR Week’s Global Agency of the Year – three years running - all while creating everlasting friendships.
At Golin, we Go All In. We are ready to Go All In for you…
Because we promise that together, we will make the best work of our lives and create change that matters. If this mission sounds like something you could wake up to every morning, then read on.
WHAT YOU HAVE:
- 12+ years’ experience in an agency or in-house communications position
- Command of best-in-class Issues and Crisis and Risk Mitigation practices from across multiple verticals
- Leadership. You know how to make things happen and how to clear hurdles for teams, while counseling clients in times of need and setting direction for the team
- Experience leading and growing an issues and crisis team, or in a role with a significant issues and crisis component—you know how to sell this line of work in a new business pitch and grow revenue
- Expertise developing and optimizing crisis management tools including crisis plans, scenario playbooks, risk assessments, crisis simulations, etc., and are always looking for ways to improve them and create new tools to stay in line with competition
- Keen ability to preemptively address issues that affect clients’ reputations and brands and how to mitigate risk
- Heightened knowledge around emerging news and societal issues like geopolitical conflict, gun control, affirmative action, etc.
- The ability to look at challenges from different angles to get to the best solutions
- You’re a storyteller who can influence not only the client but our internal team
- Energy… to move at the pace of crises and work in the moment, navigating shifting priorities and deadlines. You’re okay with grey and can help to create order out of chaos
- Familiarity with a broad suite of social media platforms, including X (formerly Twitter), Snapchat, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook and others
- Knowledge of data and analytics capabilities to augment issues management response
- Experience working in business continuity, litigation communications, on political campaigns or with activist groups (e.g., environmental activists, food activists, etc.) a plus
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Golin is looking for a Senior Vice President for our Issues and Crisis Team. Ideal candidates are experts in best-in-class Issues & Crisis processes and approaches that have been applied to multiple industry verticals, while being a true consultant to clients in proactive and real-time situations.
- Lead the Issues & Crisis practice at the agency, reporting into the Corporate Practice leader at the HQ office. This means managing the team, creating and implementing best in class processes for the team, delivering thought leadership and ultimate growth across the agency.
- Establish “ways of working” with the Issues & Crisis practice and other teams at the agency and across offices (NA and globally) to operate as efficiently and fairly as possible; support the team in maintaining this process
- Participate in new business pitches and successfully sell our Issues & Crisis services to new clients; proactive identify and solicit new business opportunities through your network and research
- Lead the development of communications strategy and content on behalf of a client or company confronted with a reputation-threatening crisis and being a trusted partner to executives across clients
- Constantly evaluate the products and services this team offers and drive improvements where needed, as well as determine areas the team is falling behind and needs to invest
- Establish innovations to remain on the forefront of the industry and how the team will market itself
- Serve as senior counsel to senior executives in a client or corporate communications setting
- Serve as a resource across the agency, as an SME for Issue & Crisis and manage the team’s roles across those accounts
- Work calmly in high-pressure, high-leverage situations
- Direct, mentor and lead the team in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Manage budgets and staff plans
- Spot trends, monitor for emerging or active issues and “see around the corner” to predict what might happen next
- Be a key contributor to agency-wide POVs and sometimes, be the driver of them
Golin is a progressive public relations agency designed to reach the profoundly diverse market. Inclusion is a core value for Golin, and we are focused on establishing a culture that is intentionally inclusive, potently diverse, and uncompromisingly equitable.
Our expertise ranges from brand-building and cutting-edge digital content to corporate reputation, healthcare advocacy and measurement. Golin aligns earned-first, data-driven creative with the customer journey through our collaborative G4 Model to deliver maximum impact for clients. Our roster includes many of the largest CPG, retail, food, healthcare technology and consumer service companies in the world.
Salary range: $150,000 - $260,000
Golin has included the base salary range or hourly rate for this role. Actual compensation offered within the range will depend upon, among other factors: a candidate’s skills, qualifications, and experience; actual ranges for current or former employees in the role; and market considerations.
Any request to schedule an interview and any legitimate offer of employment will only come from an authorized representative of Golin. We will never require an applicant to provide sensitive personally identifiable information to conduct an interview.
Golin is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Please note: Preferred location is Chicago, and we are open to considering qualified remote candidates in other locations.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.